Sources: Bielsa heading back to south America after Leeds talks
Marcelo Bielsa is heading back to south America for a summer break later this week after crunch talks with Leeds United over his future at the club, Football Insider understands.
The Argentine, 63, has told Elland Road owner Andrea Radrizzani and director of football Victor Orta during detailed discussions over the last few days he wants to return for a second campaign.
A Leeds source has told Football Insider the club are increasingly confident of being able to announce that Bielsa is staying on as manager, with a final decision expected within the next 48 hours.
Bielsa has been seeking certain reassurances over the United summer and January 2020 transfer budgets, contract renewals and planned changes to the club’s Thorp Arch training base.
He met director of football Orta at the Sky Lounge venue in Leeds last Saturday to thrash out a list of potential signings and discuss a shake-up of the United senior squad.
Bielsa signed a two-year contract when he took over as manager last summer but he can walk away this summer if he and Leeds do not agree to trigger the option of the second year of his deal.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
The former Argentina and Chile manager steered the Yorkshire giants to a third-placed finish in his debut campaign but suffered play-off heartache at the hands of Derby County last week.
In other Leeds United news, it can be REVEALED that the future of a key Whites player is massively in doubt after a “falling-out” with Bielsa behind the scenes.