Emotional Terry reveals the latest in Chelsea contract stand-off
By Chelsea correspondent Tony Hughes
John Terry has revealed he has had “no communication” with Chelsea chiefs about his contract situation in the last week.
The Premier League champions drew 1-1 against Manchester United on Sunday afternoon in their first match at Stamford Bridge since Terry dropped the bombshell seven days that he is leaving Stamford Bridge in the summer.
Terry claimed he had been told that he will not be handed a new contract, although Chelsea have subsequently explained that the door is not shut on the long-serving skipper being granted an extension.
The Chelsea fans made it clear, first at Watford on Wednesday and then again at Stamford Bridge on Sunday, that Terry has their full backing as they urged the Stamford Bridge hierarchy to ‘sign him up’.
Asked afterwards for an update on his future, a clearly emotional Terry told Sky Sports that the fans had been “incredible” to him but he admitted his situation was still unclear.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
He said: “It’s a difficult one. There’s no communication between myself and the club at the minute. More importantly, we have to get on with winning football matches.
“I made it very clear I wanted to stay. Nothing has changed yet.”