The Premier League favourites to sign Cristiano Ronaldo as Al Nassr fall-out takes next twist

Chelsea have been named as the Premier League’s favourite to sign Cristiano Ronaldo in the summer.

The 41-year-old was missing from the Al Nassr squad for matches against Al Riyadh and Al Ittihad after expressing frustration about the transfer window.

The Saudi Pro League leaders did very little in January, while Al Hilal, who sit just one point behind Ronaldo‘s team, bought Karim Benzema.

The 41-year-old is said to have been left furious by Al Hilal’s ability to sign his former teammate, who scored 21 goals last season as Al Ittihad won the league last season.

Ronaldo is yet to win the competition since his 2023 move to the Middle East, and hopes to add another new league title to his collection this season.

Cristiano Ronaldo in action for Portugal
Credit: Imago

Chelsea lead Premier League race for Cristiano Ronaldo

Despite having turned 41 earlier this month, Ronaldo remains a dominant force in the Saudi Pro League.

The striker has scored 20 goals in 20 league games this season, and 114 in 129 games across all competitions for Al Nassr since his 2023 arrival.

Cristiano RonaldoSaudi Pro League 2025-26
Appearances20
Goals20
Assists1
Chances created20
Successful dribbles9
Duels won33

There has always been a sense that the legendary forward may have one more move left in his career, however.

Some have speculated that Ronaldo could be tempted by a club within the MLS, setting up the final showdown between him and Lionel Messi.

But the Premier League has always held an attraction for the ex-Man United star, who returned for a season and scored 18 league goals before departing during the following season.

Should Ronaldo indeed decide to return once again, one major bookmaker has named Chelsea as the 3/1 favourites to sign the five-time Balon d’Or winner.

Al Nassr forward Cristiano Ronaldo smiles with betting odds

Ronaldo’s former club Man United (4/1), Liverpool (7/1) and Man City (8/1) would also be in the conversation.

Ronaldo has quelled Al Nassr talk for now

Ronaldo returned from his strike to score in games against Al Fateh and Al Hazem, netting a brace against the latter on Saturday.

Speaking after the game, he said: “I’m very happy. As I say so many times, I belong to Saudi Arabia. It’s a country that has welcomed me very well, and my family and my friends.

“I’m happy here, I want to continue here. The most important thing is we keep pushing, we are there at the top. We do our job, we win, make pressure, let’s see at the end of the season.”

Yet talk continues to surround the forward, who could well be set for one final move after the World Cup this summer.