'This is exciting' - Exclusive: Whelan bouncing after Everton confirm another signing
Noel Whelan is excited by Carlo Ancelotti’s midfield going into the new season after Everton confirmed the signing of Abdoulaye Doucoure.
The former Leeds United and Coventry striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider correspondent Dylan Chids, claimed that the Toffees were in need of “robust midfield players” this summer and was confident that the 27-year-old would tick that box.
The club confirmed the signing of the centre-midfielder from Watford yesterday – Football Insider revealed last month that the Toffees had tabled the Frenchman a £120,000-a-week contract.
— Abdoulaye Doucouré (@abdoudoucoure16) September 8, 2020
Doucoure joins new recruits James Rodriguez and Allan at Goodison Park, both of whom have played under Carlo Ancelotti before.
The three are expected to form a new-look midfield on Merseyside next season as Carlo Ancelotti puts his stamp on the squad he inherited from Marco Silva last year.
When asked by Football Insider if he was excited by the new arrivals at Goodison, Whelan said:
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“They have so much flair at Everton now with the likes of Bernard and Rodriguez. But we did not see enough of Bernard last season.
“With flair players you need defensive, robust midfield players that are going to put in the ground work and Doucoure and Allan will bring that.
“It is an exciting midfield. It is energetic, competitive – those three signings bring a lot to the party.”
Speaking shortly after he penned a three-year deal with the Toffees, Doucoure said: “I have been waiting a long time to come here and now it has happened so I am very happy.
“I had some interest from other clubs but from the beginning when Everton showed an interest in me I told my agent to focus on Everton. It was the only club I wanted to join.”
In other Everton news, Darren Bent has told Football Insider that Carlo Ancelotti should bin two big-name players.