By Tottenham correspondent Tony Hughes
Tottenham have made preliminary enquiries for Marseille striker Michy Batshuayi after accepting they are unlikely to land Saido Berahino in January, Football Insider sources understand.
Mauricio Pochettino wants to sign another forward as back-up to main man Harry Kane.
Spurs are still in the market for Saido Berahino but accept that West Brom are unlikely to sell the 22-year-old to them in the winter window.
The Londoners sent scouts to watch £15million-rated Batshuayi play against Rennes last week and a Spurs source has told told Football Insider that they have made preliminary enquiries through third parties about his availability.
Arsenal have also been linked with the 22-year-old but he is not a realistic option for the Gunners in January as Arsene Wenger prioritises reinforcing his injury-ravaged midfield.
Spurs want a proven scorer who can slot straight into their team if required. Belgium international Batshuayi has scored 13 goals in 22 matches for Marseille this season, including 10 in Ligue 1.
Kane has played the majority of Tottenham’s matches this season although he was left on the bench for Thursday’s 3-1 Europa League win over Monaco as summer signing Son Heung-min was used as a makeshift striker.
Pochettino remains an admirer of Berahino but the north Londoners face an uphill battle to convince West Brom to sell their prize asset after having four bids rejected by the Midlands club in the summer.
Berahino threatened to go on strike in a furious Twitter post aimed at chairman Jeremy Peace after his move collapsed and Tottenham are thought to be reluctant to spark another tug of war.