Medical booked: Newcastle deal for midfielder almost complete - report
By Tom Blackburn
Newcastle midfielder Henri Saivet will head to Saint-Etienne on Tuesday for a medical ahead of a loan-to-buy transfer, according to a report.
French website France Football claim the 25-year-old will arrive at the Ligue 1 club on Tuesday to undergo medical tests.
It is said that the two clubs have agreed the terms of a season-long loan with an option for Saint-Etienne to buy Saivet permanently next summer.
The Sun claimed last Thursday that the defensive midfielder is expected to join the Ligue 1 side on loan, with an option to make the deal permanent.
Les Verts are keen to add to their squad after a poor start to their league campaign. They lost 3-2 to Bordeaux, Saivet’s old club, in the opening game of the season.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
The Senegalese defensive midfielder joined the Magpies last January in a £5.1million deal but failed to play Premier League football under Rafael Benitez.
Saivet has not been on the bench for any of Newcastle’s league games this season, including their 1-0 victory over Bristol City on Saturday.
The Ligue 1 club’s vice-president, Roland Romeyer, told French outlet Le 10 Sport last week that Saivet is on their list of targets.
In other Newcastle transfer news, they line up a move for a second Everton player.