Eight Newcastle players told to find new clubs - report
By Abigail Withey
Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez has said that Championship clubs are likely to wait until later in the transfer window to bid for his side’s fringe players.
Since moving up to the Premier League this summer, the Toon boss has tried his best to strengthen his team as much as possible, which includes getting rid of a number of unwanted players.
The Chronicle claims that the former Liverpool boss has told a number of the Magpies squad to find a new club in light of their promotion to the top flight.
Grant Hanley, Tim Krul, Achraf Lazaar, Massadio Haidara, Manu Riviere and Henri Saivet have all been told to find new clubs.
As well as the fringe players, Benitez is also said to be prepared to listen to offers for Karl Darlow and Jack Colback after their public fall out in training last week.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
The Newcastle manager recently spoke about offloading members of his squad and stating that Championship clubs were waiting for a late swoop on their players.
He said: “The Championship teams – normally what they do now, they wait.”
“They wait because of wages,” he told the Chronicle. “If they buy the player one week or two weeks after, they don’t need to pay the same wages.”
“We have some players who maybe have good salaries for the Championship while maybe Premier League teams are not interested. That is the situation.”
Benitez also spoke about the inflation in football at the moment, with players making transfers in extortionate deals.
“The market has changed and prices are so high. If you can kick the ball forward, they will ask for £10million. If you put the ball in the net, it’s £20million.”
The Tyneside club will also be hoping to recoup some of the fees they spent during the summer transfer window.
The club spent around £35 million on new recruits such as Jacob Murphy, Florian Lejeune, and most recently Joselu.
Benitez has publicly vented his frustrations during the summer window as the manager wanted to bolster his squad before returning to the top tier.
The club had a disappointing start in the Premier League last weekend after Newcastle saw two of their defenders limp off with injuries in the first half and their skipper Jonjo Shelvey receive a straight red card during their 2-0 defeat against Tottenham.
Benitez and his squad will travel to The John Smith’s stadium on Sunday to face Huddersfield.
In other Newcastle news, Mick Quinn has urged the club’s new signing to step up after their 2-0 defeat to Tottenham.