Conte tipped to be Newcastle manager after 'unbelievable' update from Italy
Noel Whelan has insisted Newcastle need to appoint a “serial winner” to “lay the foundations for success” if they are to oust current boss Steve Bruce.
The former Leeds striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, said the Magpies should “look no further” than ex-Chelsea boss Antonio Conte, 52, when searching for a successor.
Yesterday, Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport (via the Evening Chronicle) suggested Newcastle view Conte, who won Serie A with Inter Milan last season, as a candidate should they sack Bruce.
The current Magpies boss has told the Daily Telegraph he wants to continue, but said “new owners normally want a new manager”.
Whelan insisted Newcastle need “experience” to guide them through this “exciting and attractive” transition period, as they hope to reach the top echelons of world football.
“There’s been a lot of talk about Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard coming in,” he told Football Insider‘s Russell Edge.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“But when you look at the available list of experienced managers and winners, which is what Newcastle need to stay in the Premier League, you can’t look any further than Antonio Conte.
“He didn’t take the Tottenham job for whatever reason – not enough money to spend, not enough ambition – but I think the ambition behind this building process at Newcastle will be a very exciting and attractive one.
“They will know there is money to spend, and they need a serial winner to come in and spend it to lay the foundations for success.
“Conte would really make the fans happy and it’s unbelievable he’s being linked in Italy.”
A consortium fronted by Amanda Staveley completed a Saudi-backed £305million takeover of the club on Thursday.
Newcastle have struggled for form in the Premier League so far this season, and are still without a win.
In other news, pundit delivers verdict after Keegan reveal.