Everton could sign '£50m player' to replace Yerry Mina after source's reveal - pundit
James Tarkowski would be a “serious upgrade” on the likes of Yerry Mina and Michael Keane at Everton, according to Alan Hutton.
The former Scotland defender, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, claimed the 29-year-old was valued at “£50million” in the not-so-distant past.
An Everton source told this site on Saturday (30 April) that the Toffees are interested in signing Tarkowski on a free transfer this summer – if they can preserve their Premier League status.
Director of football Kevin Thelwell was at Turf Moor last month (24 April) to run the rule over the centre-back during Burnley’s 1-0 Premier League win over Wolves.
Tarkowski, who has made 32 Premier League appearances this term, is out of contract at the end of this season.
Hutton suggested a deal for the England international would be “an absolute no-brainer”.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“It’d be a good addition for Everton,” he told Football Insider‘s Ewan Kingsbury.
“It wasn’t long ago that we were talking about a £50million player in Tarkowski.
“To get him on a free, it’s an absolute no-brainer. He knows the league inside out, he’s battle-hardened, and he wants to fight for his life out on the pitch.
“Everton want to be in a better position next season if they can stay up, and I think he’d be a serious upgrade on their current options – the likes of Yerry Mina and Michael Keane.
“It’s an area where they’ve really struggled recently.”
Everton sit two points from safety with a game in hand on 17th-placed Leeds United.
Injury-hit Mina, who is out of contract in June 2023, has managed just five league appearances in 2022.