Everton hopes dealt major blow after crushing Doucoure update - McLeish

Abdoulaye Doucoure’s injury has dealt Everton a big blow in their push for a European spot this season, according to Alex McLeish.

The former Premier League boss, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, admitted the Toffees would struggle to replace their powerhouse midfielder.

As quoted by Sky Sports, Carlo Ancelotti confirmed the 28-year-old would be out for up to 10 weeks with a fractured bone in his foot.

Doucoure, who joined from Watford last summer, quickly established himself as a mainstay at Goodison Park.

He has missed just three Premier League games so far, none of which ended in victory for his teammates.

His performances in midfield have helped Everton push for the European places.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

However, recent defeats to Burnley and Chelsea – which Doucoure missed – mean the Toffees currently sit seventh.

McLeish insisted the midfielder was an inspired signing but admitted his absence could derail the push for a top-six spot.

McLeish told Football Insider assistant editor Russell Edge: “He’s been some signing, hasn’t he? Everton’s results have been a wee bit up and down. 

“Just when you think that they’re definitely going for a European place – sixth, fifth or even higher – they suffer a setback. Doucoure has been a great acquisition and his athleticism, I don’t need to wax lyrical.

“We’ve all seen what he can do and what he did with Watford as well.” 

Doucoure has a total of 30 appearances under his belt for the Toffees.

He will be forced to watch on from the sidelines for the FA Cup quarter-final clash against Manchester City on Saturday.

In other news, Everton told to sign new James Maddison amid £200million influx of cash.