By Gabriel Agbonlahor

4th Aug, 2022 | 9:30am

Everton tipped to complete striker signing after source's Dominic Calvert-Lewin update - Agbonlahor

Michy Batshuayi would be a “panic buy” for Everton, according to Gabby Agbonlahor.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Aston Villa and England international insisted Batshuayi is no longer good enough for the Premier League.

Football.London reported on Sunday (31 July) that Chelsea and Everton are in talks over a permanent deal for the 28-year-old.

Everton are in desperate need of attacking reinforcements after selling Richarlison to Tottenham for £60million earlier this summer.

Sources told Football Insider on Wednesday (3 August) that Dominic Calvert-Lewin is now facing three months on the sidelines after tearing his lateral collateral ligament in his knee.

“They need another striker,” Agbonlahor told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“Batshuayi has not done it in the Premier League for many seasons, he’s not good enough.

“They shouldn’t be looking at players that aren’t good enough for the Premier League like Batshuayi. That’s a panic buy, that is.

“They need to go out and get a proper striker.

“Calvert-Lewin hasn’t been in his best form, you can’t rely on him.

“They need better options because everyone is strengthening. Everton don’t want to end up being 10th, 11th, 12th or even worse.

“They should be looking to be breaking into the top six, that’s the Everton I know from when I was playing.

“I’m sure Everton fans are confused with where their club is at the moment. That’s how they have fallen, the expectations there.”

Batshuayi last played Premier League football in 2020-21 when he scored twice in 15 games on loan at Crystal Palace.

The Belgium international still has just under 12 months to run on his Stamford Bridge contract.

In other news, Kieran Maguire has been left “amazed” as Farhad Moshiri could now pull an Everton U-turn.