Danny Mills claims that Newcastle United must have transfer deals lined up and ready to go for when they appoint their new manager.
The former England defender, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, says that the likes of Salomon Rondon and Ayoze Perez need to be replaced after their respective spells at St James’ Park and that Rafael Benitez’s proposed replacement Steve Bruce will have been made promises over transfers.
Bruce, who has reportedly resigned at Sheffield Wednesday, has confirmed that talks have been held with the Magpies and that his future now lies in the hands of the club.
Mills insists that Newcastle will already have deals up their sleeve for when the manager is eventually appointed but that funds could be limited for whoever does take charge.
“They must have something lined up, there must be something in the background,” Mills told Football Insider.
“They need to replace Rondon and Perez, they need to get strikers in. I know Dwight Gayle’s coming back but they need more than that is the simple fact.
“If it is Steve Bruce going in there, he must have been assured that he’s not going to get much money, there must be something – wages, loan deals – he’s going to get something.”
Newcastle are the only Premier League club not to make a single signing this summer, with Perez joined by Mohamed Diame and Joselu as those sold by the Magpies so far.
There had been just two first-team arrivals at St James’ Park by the 18th July last summer, with the free arrival of Ki Sung-yeung from Swansea followed by Martin Dubravka turning his loan deal permanent.
In other Newcastle United news, it can be REVEALED the Magpies are set to seal their first signing of the summer imminently from a Premier League giant.