Darren Bent suggests that Leighton Baines is weighing up a move away from Everton after failing to accept the club’s new contract offer.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider assistant editor Russell Edge, the former Tottenham and Aston Villa striker believes that the left-back is seeking out a move which would guarantee him game time next season.
The Toffees confirmed late last month that they have offered the 35-year-old a one-year contract extension, although he is yet to put pen to paper.
🔵 l Leighton Baines has agreed a short-term deal until the end of this season, while he has also been offered a one-year contract for the 2020/21 campaign.
Elsewhere, Djibril Sidibe has extended his loan until the end of the season. pic.twitter.com/lDvvafZKIq
— Everton (@Everton) June 25, 2020
Manager Carlo Ancelotti told Sky Sports of his desire to keep the veteran defender at the club for next season, claiming there is time to wait for a decision to be made.
Bent believes that the delay is down to Baines’ desire to keep playing in the final years of his career.
Asked what he thought the hold up could be, Bent told Football Insider: “He’s probably looking at it and thinking: ‘Where am I going to play?’ because he doesn’t want to go anywhere and not play as well as he doesn’t want to sit on the Everton bench.
“He’s probably dying to play so it’s difficult. Bainsey’s been a top pro, a top, top pro and a top player. I’d have loved to see him go to Wigan – I can’t see that happening now – or maybe if he stays at Everton maybe be a player-coach.
“That experience that he’s got there, you can’t buy that.”
Baines has a total of 418 appearances under his belt for Everton to date, although only seven of those have come this season.
He is the longest-serving player at Goodison Park at present, having spent 12 years with the Toffees.
PLUS: Subscribe for free to our brilliant new YouTube channel for daily videos, exclusive news, interviews with our top pundits and special guests, and all the latest insight into the club you love.