Former Rangers manager wants Newcastle playmaker – report
By Tom Blackburn
New Fenerbahce manager Dick Advocaat is interested in signing Siem de Jong from Newcastle, according to a report.
Turkish outlet Yeniakit claim Advocaat told his staff which players he wanted to sign, and their was an agreement that de Jong was a realistic pursuit.
It is said that ex-Rangers and Sunderland boss Advocaat initially wanted to pursue Mathieu Valbuena to fill his number 10 role, but was told the Frenchman was out of their budget.
Goal claimed last week that PSV are looking to give the former Ajax star a second chance as the 27-year-old looks to breathe life into his career.
The Newcastle playmaker, who is currently recovering from a muscle injury, has been told he can leave by manager Rafa Benitez after the Shields Gazette confirmed that he would be allowing six senior first-team members to leave St. James’ Park in the final weeks of the window.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
De Jong’s agent Louis Laros said last week that his client is open to a move to PSV, where he would be united with his brother Luuk.
“Let me preface that there are no talks between PSV and us,” Laros said. “I get the idea though, because his brother plays in Eindhoven. Siem currently focuses on his recovery and will take probably another two or three weeks.”
Speaking to Dutch publication Voetbul Primeur last week, younger brother Luuk said that he would welcome a second footballing reunion with Siem, after both players were part of the de Graafschap youth academy.
“It’s a dream to play with him,” the former Gladbach striker said. “He is of course very welcome.
“It’s a shame that he is injured during pre-season. Hopefully he recovers quickly because he wants to feel good again and play football somewhere.”
Siem signed for the Magpies on a six-year deal in 2013 following a £6million transfer Dutch giants Ajax, but his time in Tyneside has been plagued by numerous injuries which has reduced his playing time to only four starts for the club.
The Magpies’ number 10 has fallen down the pecking order at St. James’ Park, after the signings of Matt Ritchie, Mohamed Diame and Dwight Gayle.
In other Newcastle transfer news, they are set to finalise a Premier League deal by Sunday.