Revealed: Gang of Five alliance may torpedo Leeds dream
A Yorkshire-led Gang of Five alliance could torpedo the Leeds United promotion dream.
The majority of the 24 Championship clubs agreed on Wednesday to press ahead with restarting the season, broadly in line with the Premier League’s own Project Restart.
An EFL source has told Football Insider that a cadre of clubs in the bottom reaches of the table are firmly resisting resuming the campaign in a move that would scupper the hopes of Leeds, West Brom and the other promotion hopefuls.
Intriguingly, three of the clubs are near-neighbours and rivals of Marcelo Bielsa’s division leaders.
Fingers are being pointed at bottom club Barnsley, 21st-placed Hull City and Huddersfield, who are 18th in the league and only three points above the drop zone.
There is little love lost between Leeds and the Championship’s other Yorkshire club Sheffield Wednesday, managed by ex-United boss Garry Monk, but they have a nine-point cushion from the bottom three and are well placed to avoid relegation.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
The rebel Gang of Five have the potential to make life difficult for those clubs keen to resume the season, just as the bottom six are in the Premier League.
Norwich City sporting director Stuart Webber caused controversy earlier this week when he claimed promotion should not be handed to Championship sides unless their remaining fixtures are completed.
Webber told Sky Sports his club “would not accept” relegation and Leeds’ promotion if the Premier League completed their fixtures and the Championship did not.
The EFL’s intention is to complete the Championship season and avoid a potential legal minefield around promotion and relegation if the campaign ends early but the Premier League plays to a conclusion.
A target restart of 6 June has been discussed but clubs still anticipate a more likely 13 June date, in line with the top flight.
Leeds and West Brom are well clear at the top of the Championship with nine matches remaining.
In other Leeds United news, it can be REVEALED that the club have had six-figure bid accepted for player in major Tottenham blow.