By Danny Wright
Gary Brazil has confirmed that Ben Brereton will not be leaving Nottingham Forest anytime soon and insists it is best he stays at the City Ground for the good of his career.
Some of the big Premier League clubs – including Liverpool and Man United – have been keeping tabs on the emerging talent after he struck the headlines when he scored a last minute winner against Aston Villa earlier in February.
It was reported by The Mirror that Liverpool had a £2.5million bid rejected in the January window but are still hopeful of a deal in the summer.
Brazil, who has been put in charge of Forest until the end of the season, saw the teenager score in Tuesday’s 3-2 defeat to Fulham, and was quick to issue a hands-off.
“A lot of people will be very, very aware of Ben and probably a bit surprised that we haven’t seen him before this time,” the Forest boss said to the Nottingham Post. “But we know how good he is.
“He’s not going anywhere. He’s a Nottingham Forest player. He’s under contract.
“And I’m sure the chairman, and how he is with the younger players, will want to make sure that contract is extended.
“This is the right place for Ben Brereton because he’s going to play football.”
The 17-year-old only made his debut for the Reds in January but has established himself as part of the matchday squad since.
Brazil is clearly impressed with Brereton and after leaving him on the bench in Saturday’s heavy defeat to Norwich, put him back in the fray for the game against Fulham.
Brereton will now be hoping to help Forest move away from the Championship relegation zone. The club are currently in 17th position on 36 points, seven clear of the bottom three. However Brazil’s side have played a game more than eight of the bottom 10 clubs.
In other Nottingham Forest news, Kenny Burns says the club should sign this Celtic player.