Tottenham boss

Frank McAvennie claims Son Heung-min’s injury is a “huge blow” to Tottenham but believes the squad is deep enough to cope with his loss. 

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider correspondent Dylan Childs, the former West Ham and Celtic striker heaped praise on the 28-year-old who he claimed to have been a “revelation” since Jose Mourinho arrived at the club.

Speaking in the wake of Tuesday night’s EFL Cup triumph over Chelsea, Mourinho revealed that he expected Son to return from injury after the international break.

The South Korea international has started the 2020/21 campaign in fine form with five goals in his first five appearances.

His injury leaves the Lilywhites with just one recognised striker available in Harry Kane, who has been sidelined intermittently with problems over the past few seasons.

When asked by Football Insider if Son’s injury should be a major concern for Mourinho, McAvennie said: “It is a huge blow for Tottenham.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“The guy has been a revelation since he came to Spurs. Since Jose has come in his man management has got the best out of Son. He has got him on side.

“The boy has been fire on all cylinders this season. They will really miss him, that’s for sure but they have a deep enough squad to cope.”

Football Insider revealed on Monday that Spurs are working to sign a striker to provide backup for Kane before the window closes on Monday with Crystal Palace’s Christian Benteke emerging as a shock target.

It comes after moves for Alexander Sorloth – who joined RB Leipzig – and Napoli’s Arkadiusz Milik collapsed earlier in the window.

In other Tottenham news, Paul Robinson has told Football Insider that new signing can help ‘outstanding’ player reach his full potential.