Monk shares what he has been told by Cellino amid axe reports
By Will Butcher
Leeds boss Garry Monk has claimed that controversial owner Massimo Cellino is very supportive of his work so far.
Speculation has been rife in recent days that Cellino is ready to swing the managerial axe for the seventh time in three years even though the Yorkshire giants beat Blackburn 2-1 on Tuesday night.
However, Monk presented a calm face to the media on Thursday afternoon ahead of Saturday’s Championship clash against Cardiff.
He said, as quoted by the official Leeds Twitter account, he was in regular contract with Cellino, who “has been very supportive” and “he’s enjoying the work that we’re doing”.
— Leeds United (@LUFC) September 15, 2016
This comes after reports in England and Italy claimed that the 37-year-old could be sacked by former Cagliari owner Cellino.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
The Times paper edition on Wednesday claimed that Cellino has “grown tired” of Monk and is ready to make the young manager the seventh managerial casualty of his controversial three-year tenure.
Monk has made a poor start to life in Yorkshire, with just two Championship wins in seven games. The Yorkshire giants are languishing above the relegation zone in 17th place, despite beating rock-bottom Blackburn Rovers 2-1 on Tuesday night.
Italian owner Cellino has a lengthy history of being impatient with managers and has axed six during his two-and-a-half years at Elland Road.
Leeds travel to Cardiff on Saturday as the former Swansea manager looks to generate some momentum for the Yorkshire giants.
In other Leeds news, Monk has given an update on club captain Liam bridcutt after he picked up a knock.