By Harry Sykes
Liverpool have tabled a new player-plus cash bid for Monaco attacker Thomas Lemar in a fresh attempt to sign him by Thursday, according to a report.
French news outlet L’Equipe claim that the Merseyside giants have offered £74.3million in cash plus Divock Origi on loan for this season.
It is said that the payment will be split into two instalments, £46.5million now and the remaining £27.8million next summer.
L’Equipe report that Liverpool tabled the new bid for the France international on Monday and are now awaiting a response from Vadim Vasilyev, the vice president of AS Monaco.
The French champions have rejected two previous bids from Liverpool for Lemar of £55million and £74million.
The club have now included striker Origi as a makeweight in the deal after he slipped down the pecking order at Anfield in the opening weeks of the season.
The Belgium international has a fine record for Liverpool since signing in 2014, scoring 21 goals in 77 matches.
Lemar has been a long-term target for Arsenal, but the Gunners have seen a number of bids rejected and manager Arsene Wenger last week said that the transfer was “dead”.
Lemar was in dazzling form for Monaco last season as they won the Ligue 1 title.
He netted 14 goals and supplied 17 assists in 55 appearances across all competitions.
Football Insider Verdict
What a signing Lemar would be. Super-quick, super-skilful and with his best years ahead of him, this creator and scorer would add another cutting edge to an already impressive front line. Liverpool blew a tepid Arsenal away on Sunday, but all visitors won’t be so meek and last season showed how they struggled to break down well-organised defences. Klopp is a master of coaching attacking teams, and Lemar would provide him with another potentially dazzling forward.
In other Liverpool transfer news, Liverpool lead the chase to sign Oxlade-Chamberlain following a major development but told they must pay £40million and £1 to seal the deal.