Sky sources: Liverpool make decision in reported pursuit of 29-year-old international
By Will Butcher
Liverpool will not look to sign goalkeeper Joe Hart in January or the summer, according to a report.
Sky Sports revealed on their Transfer Centre (January 1, 1.16pm) that their sources have said Liverpool would not be looking to sign the 29-year-old, who is currently on loan with Serie A side Torino, in this window or the next.
The Manchester City ace was ostracised by manager Pep Guardiola, after the Spaniard brought in Barcelona goalkeeper Claudio Bravo.
It saw Hart sign for Torino in a season-long loan in the summer despite reported interest from Jurgen Klopp’s side, leaving his long-term future in much doubt.
Liverpool had been rumoured to be considering a move for the 68-time England international, with Loris Karius and Simon Mignolet struggling to form any consistency. Hart himself was said to be interested in a move to Anfield.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Mignolet currently holds the position as Liverpool’s number one after being dropped for summer signing Karius earlier in the season.
However, a number of high-profile mistakes against West Ham and Bournemouth have seen Mignolet re-assume his place in between the sticks for Liverpool.
Reds stalwart Jamie Carragher even called for his former side to sign Hart in January, but it appears that Klopp is not considering him as an option.
Football Insider verdict:
Liverpool would surely be mad not to enter the market for a proven goalkeeper like Joe Hart. Mignolet and Karius have not shown the consistency or the ability that is needed to challenge for the Premier League title, and their costly mistakes could see the Reds miss out on lifting the trophy come May. With Hart open to a move to Anfield, Klopp should be doing everything within his power to bring the goalkeeper to the club and fans would welcome the move. However, the former Borussia Dortmund manager is now likely to place trust in his current stoppers despite their shaky recent form. If it backfires it could be the first major mistake from Klopp in what has been a fantastic start to his Liverpool career.
In other Liverpool transfer news, here is proof that this summer signing is the Premier League’s best.