Previously banned Liverpool star gives verdict on Sakho's positive drug test
By Coral Barry
Kolo Toure fears Mamadou Sakho will not be the last Premier League star to be caught using banned substances.
The Liverpool defender is due to take the place of the Frenchman for the remainder of the season, but in an odd twist of fate, Toure is part of a small group of top flight players to have served a drug ban.
Toure was sidelined for six months by the FA after testing positive for diet pills in 2011.
The Ivorian was a Manchester City player at the time and says he can understand how Sakho has gotten himself into such a mess.
Sakho is believed to have tested positive for a fat-burning drug and Toure has confirmed he will be looking to mentor his Liverpool teammate through whatever ban he receives.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“Anything can happen in life,” said Toure speaking to the Sun. “You drive your car every day in the same road and one day you just have no concentration . . . accident.
“That’s part of life. It can happen to anyone. Sakho won’t be the last one. Sometimes you think everybody knows — but he won’t be the last. It’s just a moment of not the right thinking.
“You have to live with it. Yes, I’ll help him. I’ve been there, you know. He’s lucky that I’m there to help him.
“He has to keep working hard, put his head down. Hard times come and go.”
Sakho has already been hit with a 30-day suspension by UEFA and is expected to be given at least a six-month ban after accepting the results of his test.
The French international reportedly failed a routine drug test after he was randomly pulled aside after Liverpool’s Europa League quarter-final triumph over Manchester United on March 17.
In other Liverpool news, one promising youngster has been likened to Dele Alli.