McAvennie 'can't believe' Rangers after source's Ibrox update - 'I was told...'
Rangers need to go “back to basics” after sacking Giovani van Bronckhorst.
That’s according to former Celtic hitman Frank McAvennie, speaking exclusively to Football Insider about a dramatic week at Ibrox.
Rangers confirmed earlier this week (21 November) that Van Bronckhorst had left the club after his side fell nine points behind Celtic in the first part of the Scottish Premiership season.
This site revealed on Friday (25 November) that the club are growing increasingly concerned about a backlash among supporters towards appointing Michael Beale but he is still the frontrunner for the job.
McAvennie is concerned by what is going on behind the scenes at Ibrox.
“If you are going to get rid of a manager, now is the time,” McAvennie told Football Insider correspondent Ben Wild.
Click below for exclusive transfer news
“It gives the new manager some time before the season starts again, that’s ideal. I was told Rangers couldn’t get rid of Gio because they didn’t have the money to pay him off, so I’m not sure what is happening.
“I don’t know what they are doing at Rangers. I don’t know why the players didn’t perform for Gio. I can’t believe club sold their two best players and didn’t replace them.
“Aribo was their best player and he hasn’t been replaced. Bassey went as well and a replacement for him hasn’t come in.
“So what are they doing? Kamara has not been involved and it sounds like they have had a falling out. I just don’t get it.
“The way I look at Rangers, they have to go back to basics because everything they have tried in the last 12 months hasn’t worked.”