Benitez favourite finally proves this former Newcastle boss wrong after latest reveal
Paul Dummett’s brand new contract at Newcastle United has finally proven former manager Alan Pardew well and truly wrong.
The Magpies revealed that the Welsh defender had been handed a long term deal on Thursday, with the 26-year-old putting pen to paper over a contract which could extend until 2022.
We're delighted to announce that defender @PaulDummett has signed a new long-term contract with Newcastle United!
— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) February 15, 2018
However things could have been so different for the Welsh international earlier in his career at St James’ Park had former boss Alan Pardew had his way, with Dummett having revealed that the current West Brom manager had told him he was not good enough for the club.
The defender was told by the former Southampton boss, who spent five years and took charge of 184 matches at the club, that he would not make it at a Premier League level.
While Pardew has long left Tyneside, joining Crystal Palace and then linking up with the Baggies, Dummett has remained to establish himself as a regular feature in the Magpies’ starting XI, and is without a doubt Rafael Benitez’s favourite choice at left back.
While in previous seasons there have been question marks over whether Dummett has the ability for England’s top flight, shining in the second tier last season after appearing in all but one of the club’s matches in a Championship winning campaign, this latest deal proves that Benitez, a man with a Champions League title to his name, feels he is a key member of the squad.
With 75 Premier League appearances under his belt, and a total of 131 outings for the Magpies, the left back has shown this season he has what it takes, and was on top form in silencing the Manchester United attack during the surprise 1-0 last weekend.
Regarding Dummett, Pardew was very wrong – something Newcastle fans will attest was not an uncommon occurrence during his time on Tyneside.
In other Newcastle United news, the club are to reignite a swoop for an international speed machine after a failed January bid.