Pete O'Rourke column: Man United in race to sign Darwin Nunez ally, Man City to block Alvarez exit, Calvert-Lewin to quit Everton for Saudi Arabia?
Welcome to the latest edition of my biweekly column – bringing you exclusive transfer and contract news, as well as news from the Premier League, EFL, Scottish Premiership and beyond.
Follow Football Insider on Twitter to see the latest news as it breaks!
Spurs are among the sides monitoring the progress of Club America defender Sebastian Caceres.
The 24-year-old has impressed for Uruguay’s senior side under Marcelo Bielsa and dazzled as they beat Brazil 2-0 in World Cup qualifying last week (18 October).
I’m told Newcastle, Man United, Fulham and West Ham are all also interested in the defender.
He is seen as an affordable target for Premier League clubs, with Club America not set to ask for an extortionate fee for the defender.
Caceres has just over 12 months left to run on his contract in Mexico.
As such, I’m told a potential deal could be worth around £6-10million – which would represent a real bargain for a full international player.
All five English clubs are keen to add centre-back to their ranks in the January window.
I’m told the Ibrox board are working hard to make transfer funds available for new manager Philippe Clement.
He started his reign in Glasgow with a 4-0 win over Hibernian on Saturday (21 October).
Clement’s next test comes in the Europa League against Sparta Prague on Thursday (26 October).
Funds are tight at Rangers – but sources say Clement is keen to put his own stamp on his new side by bringing in players known to him.
I’m told club chiefs will do “everything they can” to give the Belgian what he needs to succeed this season.
Julian Alvarez has flourished in a second-striker role since Kevin De Bruyne’s injury earlier this season.
City are aware of lots of reported interest in the World Cup winner from the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid.
However, I’m told the treble-winners are confident Alvarez will choose to stay put.
He is a key part of Pep Guardiola’s plans and club chiefs feel he is capable of becoming even better – even after his goal-laden start to the new campaign.
Alvarez is under contract at the Etihad Stadium until June 2028.
City’s record departure is currently Raheem Sterling’s £47.5million move to Chelsea last summer (2022) – but it would take a bid of more than £80million in order for them to even consider parting with Alvarez.
Guardiola’s side do not need the money and are desperate to keep him around – and there is no concern about losing him.
Cherries boss Andoni Iraola is in danger of becoming this season’s first managerial casualty.
Bournemouth are still without a Premier League win this season and squandered a 1-0 lead to lose 2-1 at home against Wolves on Saturday (21 October).
The club’s American owners have huge, ambitious plans and are not happy with Iraola’s first months at the Vitality Stadium.
I’m told their clash with Burnley on Saturday (28 October) is likely to be a make-or-break game for the Bournemouth boss.
The Clarets are also struggling for points this season, and that fixture is now seen as a must-win.
Games against Liverpool, Man City and Newcastle follow the clash at Turf Moor.
Reports have suggested Steven Gerrard’s Al-Ettifaq are readying a move for Toffees striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin.
The interest is seen as a concern at Goodison Park with their takeover situation still unclear.
But my understanding is that Everton have no plans to lose Calvert-Lewin, who is seen as a big player for the future under Sean Dyche despite his persistent injury struggles.
He is expected to be the main source of goals as another relegation fight shapes up, despite the summer arrival of Beto.
I’m told Everton will not consider offers for Calvert-Lewin in January, while the player himself is happy at Everton and wanting to concentrate on playing regular first-team football.
David Moyes has admitted he is in no rush to sign a new contract at the London Stadium.
His current deal at West Ham is set to expire at the end of the season – but a final decision on his future is set to come later on in the current campaign.
There was speculation over a potential exit in the summer, and I’m told there was friction between Moyes and director of football Tim Steidten over transfers in the off-season.
Form and results could ultimately dictate Moyes’ future – and the West Ham board are ready to do their due diligence on potential successors to take over from the Scot.