Sources: Portsmouth beat Blackpool to sign Colby Bishop after medical passed
Portsmouth are closing in on the signing of Accrington striker Colby Bishop, sources have told Football Insider.
Blackpool were also interested in the 25-year-old but Pompey are set to win the race for his signature.
The striker completed a medical on Wednesday (20 June) and the deal has now been agreed.
This site revealed on Monday (18 July) that second-tier Blackpool were attempting to hijack the League One side’s move for Bishop.
That came after sources told Football Insider earlier this month (7 July) that MK Dons were also battling to sign the marksman.
But it is Portsmouth who will win the transfer tug of war after Danny Cowley identified him as the man to lead his forward line.
Bishop has one year remaining on his deal with Stanley, although the club have the option to extend it by a further 12 months.
He netted 14 times and supplied four assists in 47 appearances across all competitions for the north west club in 2021-22.
Bishop will replace versatile 26-year-old forward Marcus Harness, who signed for League One rivals Ipswich Town last Friday (15 July).
Bishop spent the bulk of his career in the National League prior to his move to Stanley ahead of the 2019-20 campaign.
In Portsmouth, he will join a team who finished 10th in the third tier last term, 12 points ahead of Accrington in 12th.
Marlon Park, Joe Rafferty, Joshua Oluwayemi and Zak Swanson have all joined the Fratton Park club permanently this summer, while Josh Griffiths and Joe Pigot have signed on loan.
In other news, five clubs in race to sign Newcastle United striker Dwight Gayle.