Pundit shares verdict on Newcastle re-appointing Benitez after Caulkin update today
Frank McAvennie claims Rafael Benitez will turn down the chance to return to Newcastle if an offer is made.
However, the former West Ham hitman, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, admitted the Toon can appoint a high profile new boss.
The Athletic’s George Caulkin has today (11 October) reported that Steve Bruce will be relieved of his duties at Newcastle, but not today.
This came after the Saudi-led takeover of Newcastle was finally confirmed last week.
This brought an end to Mike Ashley’s 14-year reign and mass change is expected to follow.
Bruce’s job was already in doubt amid Newcastle’s awful start to the season.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Benitez remains a hugely popular figure on Tyneside after his spell as manager and was reportedly going to be re-appointed if the takeover had gone through last summer.
McAvennie insists there is no chance of Benitez, now at Everton, being appointed this time around.
“I just can’t see it,” McAvennie told Football Insider correspondent Ben Wild.
“When Rafa was in in China or unemployed then he would be the ideal candidate.
“But he’s at Everton and loving life. Maybe if he had been there for a while and it wasn’t working out… but things are going great.
“Newcastle fans love him and I’m sure he loves Newcastle. But I don’t see it. He might be interested but he wouldn’t go.
“They will be able to get a quality manager in, I’m sure. Once everything is sorted out.
“It’s a big club, with or without a takeover. They can certainly do better than Steve Bruce, I’ve always said that.”
Newcastle are winless in all competitions this season.
They face Tottenham at St James’ Park on Sunday.