'A great club' - Rafa Benitez gives definitive update on Newcastle rumours
By Russell Edge
Newcastle United boss Rafael Benitez has said that he is happy to remain at Newcastle amid rumours linking him to the vacant manager’s position at Everton.
Last week saw the Toffees sack Dutch boss Ronald Koeman after a disappointing start to the season, despite securing several big money deals for the likes of Jordan Pickford and Gylfi Sigurdsson over the summer.
As a result media outlets have been reporting on who might take over at Goodison Park, and Benitez, whose family live in Merseyside after his time with Everton’s rivals Liverpool, has been one of those linked.
However the Spanish manager, who replaced former England boss Steve McClaren Newcastle in 2016 as he looked to save the club from their relegation battle, has dismissed any interest in the Toffees job, affirming his loyalty to the Magpies.
He told the Chronicle: “I read in the press and heard people talking, but I am happy here. I am concentrating on this, I don’t like to talk about rumours.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
“Everton is a great club. I’m not saying I’m interested, I’m saying I’m happy here and want to concentrate on Newcastle and try to do my best here.”
Benitez has 73 games in charge of Newcastle under his belt, having managed them for a full season in the Championship last season, and has won 40 of those games, scoring 129 goals and conceding 72.
He will be hoping to add to his tally of wins when the Magpies, sitting in seventh place in the Premier League table, travel to Turf Moor on Monday to take on Burnley, who sit just one point and one place behind his side.
In other Newcastle United news, Benitez has made a shock claim over the club’s start to the season.