Report details update in Tottenham pursuit of Lemar
By Harry Sykes
Tottenham have pulled the plug on their pursuit of Monaco winger Thomas Lemar, according to a report.
The Mail claim that Spurs have been interested in the in-demand 21-year-old but will not be making a formal bid.
It is said that the north Londoners will leave the path clear for Lemar’s other suitors, who include, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal.
It was widely reported on Monday that the Merseyside giants have offered a deal worth up to £74million for the attacker but the Mail report that Monaco are looking to drive up the price as they sense Arsenal and Chelsea are willing to make counter bids.
Lemar would like to leave and move to the Premier League before Thursday’s transfer deadline.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Lemar has been a long-term target for Arsenal, but the Gunners have seen a number of bids rejected and manager Arsene Wenger last week said that the transfer was “dead”.
Lemar was in dazzling form for Monaco last season as they won the Ligue 1 title.
He netted 14 goals and supplied 17 assists in 55 appearances across all competitions.
In other Tottenham transfer news, the club have pulled the plug on a transfer and Pochettino will fast-track a 17-year-old instead.