Report: Newcastle make approach for Everton player, Benitez waiting on Koeman answer
By Alex Stevens
Newcastle are hoping to agree a loan deal for Everton defender Brendan Galloway, according to a report.
The Sunday Mirror claim Rafael Benitez has made an approach for the left-back and is waiting on an answer from Goodison manager Ronald Koeman.
It is said that the Everton has been unable to give Benitez a definitive decision so far because he is still working on defensive reinforcements of his own.
Galloway, 20, impressed after breaking into the Toffees’ first-team during the early part of last season under Roberto Martinez.
The youngster made 19 appearances for the club as he filled in impressively at left-back while Leighton Baines and Bryan Oviedo were injured.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
But with both of those players vying for a first-team spot, Galloway’s chances of adding to his experience appears limited.
The former England Under-19s player has not played for Everton since 31 January and said last month that he is keen to force his way into Koeman’s team.
“We have got a point to prove, especially with the new manager,” Galloway told the Liverpool Echo. “It is a fresh start and I will be looking forward to catching his eye and impressing him and his new staff.”
Galloway came through the ranks at MK Dons where he made his senior debut aged 15 in the FA Cup first round to become the club’s youngest-ever player.
He moved to Everton in 2014 and signed a new five-year contract last December after his impressive performances for then-manager Roberto Martinez.
Galloway says he was pleased with the former Barcelona player’s appointment and is ready for the challenge ahead.
“I’m always up for a challenge and always want to win and play, so I am looking forward to it,” said Galloway.
“I am really happy with it (Koeman’s appointment). I was on holiday at the time but when his name popped up I was really excited to start working with him. As a player he was exceptional and as a coach he has been as well.”
In other Newcastle transfer news, this attacking midfielder has revealed he is in talks with Magpies chiefs about a transfer.