Paul Robinson has tipped Jose Mourinho to snub Son Heung-min when Tottenham travel to Newcastle United this weekend.

The former White Hart Lane number one, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, said no “unnecessary risks” will be taken with the 28-year-old who is recovering from injury.

Son limped off of Tottenham’s 2-1 defeat at Arsenal last month with a hamstring injury and missed the subsequent two fixtures against Dinamo Zagreb and Aston Villa.

According to Football London, the winger was omitted from South Korea’s international squad to give him the best chance to be fit for Sunday’s game against the Magpies.

However, Robinson suggested Carlos Vinicius who replaced Son in the starting XI in the win over Villa, would retain his place for the trip to St. James’ Park.

“I do not know if Son will come back in against Newcastle because they were very good against Aston Villa,” he told Football Insider.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“I think Vinicius did a good job so I think he might keep his place, especially if Sonny is not 100 per cent.

“Jose Mourinho will not want to take any unnecessary risks with him between now and the end of the season.

“The fact that he did not go away on international duty was a massive help for Spurs because they have been able to keep him and monitor his fitness. They will know exactly where he is at.

“If there is any doubt, I do not think he will play a part. The squad is good enough to beat Newcastle regardless of who plays.” 

In other news, Robinson hails Levy as Tottenham close in on a ‘sensational’ signing after a big update.