By Gabriel Agbonlahor

16th Nov, 2022 | 6:35pm

Takumi Minamino cited as Liverpool 'open door' on January signing - Agbonlahor

Liverpool may find it difficult to find a player who can make a meaningful difference in the January transfer window, according to Gabby Agbonlahor.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Aston Villa and England attacker cited Takumi Minamino and Arthur Melo as the sort of signings that Liverpool should not repeat.

Jurgen Klopp revealed in his press conference after the Reds’ 3-1 win over Southampton on Saturday (12 November) that the “door is open” on January signings.

The 55-year-old also insisted that he can improve his side on the training ground and will not rely on new faces.

“It depends on who are they are looking at,” Agbonlahor told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley.

“If there are players available Liverpool have said they will buy but the right player has to be available.

Click below for exclusive transfer news

“They won’t bring in anyone for the sake of it and it doesn’t strengthen their team.

“They have done that previously, look at Minamino. They brought him in after he played one good game in the Champions League and he came in and could not hit a barn door.

“I don’t think they will rush into buying anyone, to be honest, unless they are right for them.

“Arthur Melo is another one. He’ll probably end up leaving there having only played that one game.”

Liverpool brought in four new players in the summer transfer window – Melo, Darwin Nunez, Fabio Carvalho and Calvin Ramsay.

Melo moved from Juventus on loan on deadline day but has only played 13 minutes of senior football for the club.

In other news, Liverpool have been backed to complete a striker signing after a Roberto Firmino reveal.