Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce points

Darren Bent says that it was “good business” for Newcastle United to let Sung-yueng Ki depart St James’ Park for nothing.

The former Tottenham and England striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider assistant editor Russell Edge, says that the 31-year-old has proven to be a good player but that he has not hit the expected heights with the Magpies.

Newcastle confirmed on Friday that they had terminated the South Korean international’s contract by mutual consent after a year-and-a-half on Tyneside.

The former Swansea man had been used intermittently by former manager Rafael Benitez but found game time difficult to come by under new boss Steve Bruce.

Bent says that he expects Ki to go and find a new challenge elsewhere after his exit from Newcastle and that the Magpies made a good call getting him off the wage bill.

Bent told Football Insider: “He was a good player, he was a good signing but maybe it was time to leave, he hasn’t really impacted Newcastle the way we hopes.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“It’s probably good business for all concerned, you’d expect him to go and get another club somewhere else because he’s a talented footballer.” 

Ki Sung-yeung arrives with Newcastle United

Ki managed to make just four appearances for Newcastle since the start of the 2019/20 season and leaves St James’ Park with 23 games under his belt for the Magpies.

The arrival of Danny Rose, Valentino Lazaro and Nabil Bentaleb means that the midfielder would have been without a place in the 25-man Premier League squad.

In other Newcastle United news, Darren Bent says that the Magpies have pulled off a “stunning” deal.