Tottenham plan late £25m bid for 24-year-old Pochettino favourite - reports
By Harvey Byrne
Tottenham are planning to make a late eight-figure bid for Crystal Palace speedster Wilfried Zaha, according to a report.
The Sun has claimed that Mauricio Pochettino is looking to launch a £25million bid for the 24-year-old, who is on his way back from the African Cup of Nations after the Ivory Coast were eliminated.
It is said that the Argentine boss is looking to bolster his attack before the deadline with title aspirations in his mind.
Zaha has been on the radar of the Tottenham manager since the summer and the Guardian reported in August that they had failed with a £21million bid.
Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parrish shared at the time that Pochettino rates Zaha so highly he “thinks he’s the next [Cristiano] Ronaldo“, meaning the young attacker is a favourite of his.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Zaha has previously struggled after leaving Palace following a £10million move to Manchester United in 2013, where he played just four times over two years before returning to south east London.
But, that hasn’t seemed to have fazed him and this season he has been the star of the struggling Eagles with four goals and eight assists in 21 appearances in all competitions.
With his contract set to expire in 2020 it is now thought that it is just a question of whether Palace will agree to a deal worth an extra £4million, especially this late in the January window.
Football Insider verdict:
It has been said across the window that Palace are looking to raise funds, but they are unlikely to do so by selling their greatest talent. Clubs are always reluctant to sell in January and with there now being little time for them to sign a replacement it is likely that it will take a lot more than £25million for Spurs to secure this signing. Pochettino pulled a massive £30million signing in Moussa Sissoko out of the bag on the last deadline day. However, Newcastle were open to that move and it is very much doubtful that their late bid for Zaha will become anything more than a wasted effort. The match against Wycombe showed on Saturday that attacking reinforcements are still needed, but Pochettino must look elsewhere on this front.
In other Tottenham transfer news, Spurs have lost out on this attacker after a £120,000-a-week deal was agreed.