West Ham senior figure slams summer signings after Bilic sacking
By Guy Giles
West Ham vice-chair Karren Brady has slammed the club’s summer signings for not delivering after the sacking of former boss Slaven Bilic.
Brady has spoken out for the first time since the Hammers’ board took the decision to sack the Croatian after a poor start to the season left them in the bottom three of the Premier League.
She claimed that the decision was one of the hardest she’s ever made during her 25 years in football, but had harsh words for the club’s players after their poor form forced her hand.
Speaking in her column for The Sun, Brady said: “We spent £45m in the summer buying experience in defence and goal threat in attack. Neither manifested itself.
“Rather, goals have poured into our own net to the extent that we have the worst record in the league — and we haven’t scored many, either.”
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
The Hammers have conceded 23 goals in their 11 games this season, the league’s worst defensive record.
Summer acquisitions Joe Hart and Pablo Zabaleta, bringing with them over 500 Premier League appearances, have failed to impress so far.
At the other end of the pitch, club record signing Marko Arnautovic is yet to score or provide an assist in the league, and Chicharito is yet to receive the support he requires despite netting four times so far.
Brady also moved to dismiss claims that the London Stadium is to blame for West Ham’s recent poor form.
She said: “It is pure excuse-making for anyone to blame the move to the London Stadium for our failings. The Hammers roar is as alive as ever and the fervour with which our fans blew bubbles after we scored against Liverpool on Sunday was heart-warming.”
In other West Ham news, the club may be willing to let this star go in order to sign a former Premier League defender.