Agbonlahor suggests Rangers about to sack Giovanni van Bronckhorst after Ibrox source's reveal
Rangers may sack Giovanni van Bronckhorst if they do not finish third in their Champions League group and qualify for the Europa League, according to Gabby Agbonlahor.
Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, the ex-Aston Villa and England attacker admitted it may be “impossible” for Rangers not to finish bottom of their Champions League group.
They have begun their European campaign with two defeats, including a 3-0 loss to Napoli at Ibrox on Wednesday night (14 September).
Sources told Football Insider on Thursday (15 September) that Van Bronckhorst is under increasing pressure from the club’s board and he is understood to have told friends he is wary of getting the sack.
The Gers’ European campaign could be over by the beginning of November when the group stage finishes.
“He’s got a lot of credit in the bank with what he did last year getting them into the Europa League final,” Agbonlahor told Football Insider correspondent Connor Whitley.
Click below for exclusive transfer news
“You have to be third in the Champions League group to get into the Europa League. If they failed to get into the Europa League and their form didn’t improve in the Scottish Premiership then I think he could get the sack.
“As long as he qualifies for the Europa League, which won’t be easy because they’re in a very tough group. I would say it’s near off impossible in that group.
“So maybe the pressure will be on. But I do feel like he’s got a lot of credit in the bank there.”
After the defeat to Napoli, the Gers are on a run of three consecutive defeats without scoring, conceding 11 goals in the process.
They are next in action on Saturday (17 September) when they host managerless Dundee United who are yet to win a league game this season.