Nottingham Forest are plotting a move to sign Kevin McDonald from Fulham before Monday’s transfer deadline, Football Insider understands.

The Championship outfit are still in the market for a new midfielder after a potential deal for Bournemouth’s Dan Gosling collapsed earlier this week.

A recruitment source told Football Insider Forest have now turned their attention towards sealing a move for the Cottagers’ 32-year-old over the coming days.

Despite playing his part in Fulham’s promotion-winning campaign last season, McDonald is not in the plans at Craven Cottage and has been left out of the 25-man Premier League squad.

A defensive midfielder who has also operated as a centre-back, the Scotland international came through the youth ranks at Dundee before making the move to England with Burnley.

He has spent most of his career in the Championship, with 210 second-tier appearances under his belt playing with the Clarets, Scunthorpe United, Wolves and Fulham.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

McDonald has also played 129 times in League One and 41 times in the Premier League, while he made the first of five appearances for Scotland back in 2018.

He joined Fulham back in the summer of 2016 and has 128 games, five goals and six assists under his belt for the Londoners to date.

His experience of the Championship, coupled with his potential availability, has drawn interest from Nottingham Forest as Chris Hughton looks to add another midfielder to his squad over the next couple of days.

It is reported Forest had agreed a deal to sign Gosling from Bournemouth but that the 30-year-old turned down the move.

In other news, Nottingham Forest have told Harry Arter to find a new club, Football Insider understands.