Manager issues emphatic response to report Rangers offered 26-year-old Birmingham star
By Emma Sanders
Birmingham manager Gary Rowett has denied reports that Rangers were offered Diego Fabbrini on loan with a view to a permanent deal.
The Daily Mirror claimed in their live transfer blog (December 1, 5:16pm) that Fabbrini had been offered to Mark Warburton’s side after struggling to become a permanent fixture in the Midlands club’s Championship side.
However, Rowett has hit back at the rumours, claiming it was incorrect that Fabbrini was offered to the struggling Scottish Premiership giants.
“I saw one report which specifically said we had offered the player to certain clubs which is absolute rubbish. I don’t know many clubs that would actually offer their players,” said Rowett, as reported by the Scottish Sun.
It would be no surprise to see Fabbrini leave Birmingham in January after the midfielder has made just five appearances for the club this season.
Subscribe to Football Insider TV now
Rangers have been hit with some major injury set-backs in midfield, including Niko Kranjcar, Jordan Rossiter and Josh Windass and they could be in search for further options.
The reports emerged after Mark Warburton revealed he had already targeted a “dynamic, outstanding pedigree” in midfield and Fabbrini seemed to fit the bill.
Since joining Birmingham in January 2016 for £1.5 million, the Italian has made just eight Championship starts and it’s unlikely he will get back into the side.
Rangers currently sit in second place in the Scottish Premiership but are eight points behind leaders Celtic, who also have three games in hand still to play.
The Ibrox side have struggled to gain consistency under Warburton and face a battle to secure the second place spot ahead of Hearts and Aberdeen so definitely need to strenghen the squad.
In other Rangers news, these are the three things we learned from their clash against Aberdeen on Saturday.