Frank McAvennie insists things will only change at Newcastle once Mike Ashley sells the club amid a takeover update.

The former Celtic striker, speaking exclusively to Football Insider, told Newcastle fans that Ashley is the biggest problem at the club and the blame their poor season should lie at him, not Steve Bruce.

Last week, (April 8) this site reported that a well-placed financial source insists all parties involved in the current Saudi-backed takeover attempt of Newcastle remain committed to the deal.

It has been just under a year since news broke of a fresh Newcastle takeover attempt involving Amanda Staveley, David and Simon Reuben and the Saudi public investment fund.

Newcastle are currently involved in arbitration with the Premier League in an effort to push that deal through and McAvennie insists that a takeover is the only way for things to change at St James’ Park.

“The biggest problem with going to Newcastle is that nobody wants to work for the man at the top,” McAvennie told Football Insider correspondent Ben Wild.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“It’s not going to change until Mike goes and he doesn’t need to sell the club, he’ll stand firm and get the price that he wants for his asset. 

“Newcastle fans have to get used to that unfortunately, they’re going to blame the manager for the results but it’s down to Mike. 

“He’s wanting £300million or £270million and for a Premier League club of Newcastle’s stature, in the middle of the town, to someone who has the money that’s not a bad investment.”

“Until Mike goes, nothing is going to change.”

Newcastle currently find themselves in a relegation battle though a vital win at Burnley has moved them six points clear of the relegation zone with a game in hand on 18th placed Fulham.

The Magpies face West Ham on Saturday as they look to move even further away from the prospect of a third relegation under Ashley.

In other news, Steve Bruce may be on the verge of the sack amid two big Newcastle United takeover developments.