Date: 22nd June 2017 at 5:43pm
Written by:

By Harvey Byrne

Former midfielder turned pundit Andy Townsend has told that he believes reported Newcastle target Vincent Aboubakar is more of a threat than Dwight Gayle due to his ability to run through defences.

The Daily Express claimed earlier in the week that the Magpies believe they have won the race for the 25-year-old Porto forward, who is currently away with Cameroon in Russia in the Confederations Cup.

Toon boss Rafa Benitez will be looking to strengthen his starting eleven this summer after winning the Championship title and he may be eyeing a new striker to displace last season’s 23-goal striker Gayle.

Now, Townsend believes that while Gayle is a better finisher than Aboubakar, the latter offers more in other areas and has told that he thinks the Cameroonian is more of a challenge to opposing defences.

“He’s not a good a finisher as Dwight Gayle,” told Townsend speaking as a commentator on ITV4’s live coverage of Cameroon’s clash against Australia on Thursday afternoon.

“But, he will run in behind more and he’s quicker and he’s more of a threat in that respect.”

Aboubakar was also the star of a title winning side last season, as he helped Besiktas lift the Turkish top-flight with 19 goals in 38 appearances in all competitions.

Of those goals included three in six encounters in the Champions League and he would certainly move to St. James’ Park with a big reputation.

Newcastle fans will also be hoping that he can bag a similar record to Gayle’s last season as they aim for survival in the Premier League.

In other Newcastle news, the Magpies have made an enquiry for this 21-year-old Spanish winger.

We’ve launched a << BREAKING NEWS FEED>> exclusively for your club. ‘Like Us’ on Facebook by clicking here if you want 24/7 updates on all Newcastle breaking news.