By Frank McAvennie

12th Jan, 2022 | 7:00pm

Newcastle tipped to sign second striker 'soon' amid source's Wood update - pundit

Newcastle will sign another striker “soon” after an update on Elliot Anderson’s future.

That’s according to former West Ham hitman Frank McAvennie, speaking exclusively to Football Insider about the Magpies’ upcoming transfer moves.

On Wednesday (12 January), Chris Waugh of The Athletic reported Anderson, 19, is set to join Luton Town on loan this month.

This comes as Chris Wood agreed personal terms with Newcastle, as reported by Football Insider earlier on Tuesday.

Eddie Howe’s other striking options are the injured Callum Wilson and Dwight Gayle, who is yet to start a league game this season.

As a result, McAvennie claims Newcastle must be close to another striker signing.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“If this lad is going out, they must be close to another striker,” McAvennie told Football Insider correspondent Ben Wild.

“That’s the only explanation for letting him leave. Wood is coming in, that’s fine.

“But if he gets injured you are back to Dwight Gayle who isn’t good enough at this level.

“We know Newcastle have the money it’s not crazy to think they will get another striker in as well as Wood.

“It will be goals that get them out of this relegation fight. That being said, the defence needs to be better as well.

“I hope for their sake they can get a new striker in soon, I think they will.”

Wood could make his Newcastle debut on Saturday (15 December) when his new side take on Watford.

A second win as Toon boss would take Eddie Howe’s side out of the relegation zone for the first time this season.

In other news, a finance guru has claimed Staveley has made ‘huge call’ after latest from Newcastle dressing room.