By Danny Wright

6th Aug, 2017 | 1:03pm

'Players will leave' - Benitez delivers Newcastle transfer update

By Danny Wright

Rafa Benitez has made it clear that he is expecting to cut a few more players from his Newcastle squad before their season opener against Tottenham next week.

The Magpies haven’t been as active in the transfer market as they would have probably hoped this summer, with only a handful of players signing permanent deals with the club.

Christian Atsu turned his loan stint on Tyneside into a permanent one and has been joined by Florian Lejeune, Jacob Murphy, Javier Manquillio and Mikel Merino, who is currently on temporary terms with the Magpies.

Benitez, 57, has now said that he is still looking to make further additions to his squad.

“We’ll cherish these memories but we now think of the future, not the past. More players will leave and hopefully more arrive too,” said the former Real Madrid and Liverpool boss, as quoted by Newcastle Chronicle report Chris Waugh on his personal Twitter account on Sunday.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“Rest assured we are working very hard to make additions. We still have much to improve on before we face Spurs next week.”

Newcastle lifted the Championship title last season in dramatic circumstances on the final day of the campaign.

Benitez has since been promised the full financial backing of owner Mike Ashley to make sure that the controversial businessman doesn’t endure a third relegation from the Premier League during his time in charge.

However that hasn’t been the case so far this summer, and while Florian Thauvin, Daryl Murphy, Yoan Gouffran and Vurnon Anita have all left St. James’ Park, there haven’t been many faces that have come in and replaced them.

In other Newcastle news, the Magpies are plotting a second bid for this top-flight striker.

We’ve launched a << BREAKING NEWS FEED>> exclusively for your club. ‘Like Us’ on Facebook by clicking here if you want 24/7 updates on all Newcastle breaking news.