By Frank McAvennie

16th Oct, 2021 | 10:00am

Pundit can't believe latest Newcastle twist after '£8m' deal is 'done'

Steve Bruce has earned the right to manage Newcastle United against Tottenham on Sunday.

So says former West Ham hitman Frank McAvennie, speaking to Football Insider after an update on the manager’s future.

Today, (15 October) Newcastle released a statement confirming Bruce will be in the dugout this weekend.

The Toon boss has been under increasing pressure after Newcastle were sold to a Saudi-led consortium last week.

Newcastle are winless in eight games this season and the veteran coach was already under pressure from restless fans long before the takeover was completed.

McAvennie feels for Bruce and admitted he is glad to hear the boss will take charge of Newcastle, possibly for one final time, against Tottenham

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

“It looks like he’s staying on for game 1,000,” McAvennie told Football Insider correspondent Ben Wild.

“I feel for him. He hasn’t had a chance under Mike Ashley, there’s always a handicap.

“I thought he would have been gone the day it got announced, maybe he’s waiting for a payoff.

“It’s meant to be an £8million payoff, so he can’t be too unhappy if he does go.

“He can go with his head held high though. He was treated poorly and there are things he will regret.

“But as far as he’s concerned, he’s done his job. Newcastle stayed in the Premier League.

“That is what was required.”

Bruce replaced Rafa Benitez after he chose to walk away from the club after a three-year spell.

Under his tenure, Bruce has kept the Magpies in the Premier League with two bottom-half finishes.

In other news, Antonio Conte is predicted to be “coming to Newcastle United” after Ryder update.