Juventus have told Newcastle United and Fulham that defender Daniele Rugani is set to join Rennes after transfer talks between the clubs, Football Insider understands.

As revealed by this site earlier today, Newcastle had been in discussions to sign the 26-year-old Italy international, while Fulham were also understood to be keen as both sides look for defensive reinforcements.

However, a recruitment source has told Football Insider that Rugani is “very close” to signing for Renne on loan, with a view to a permanent deal at the end of the season, after a breakthrough in negotiations between the Ligue 1 and Serie A clubs.

The news will come as a big blow to Newcastle boss Steve Bruce, who is in the market for a new centre-back ahead of Monday’s transfer deadline.

The Magpies had been close to a loan deal for Arsenal’s Rob Holding but the move fell through after injuries promoted the English enforcer into Mikel Arteta’s starting XI.

Bruce had also set his sights on trying to prise Ben Godfrey from Norwich City but the 22-year-old is set to join Premier League rivals Everton after terms of a £25million-plus deal were agreed.

Subscribe to Football Insider TV now

Newcastle currently have five centre-backs on their books but Paul Dummett, Ciaran Clark and Fabian Schar are all working their way back from long-term injuries.

Fulham boss Scott Parker is also desperate to recruit a new defender before the window slams shut after a number of setbacks at Craven Cottage.

As revealed by Football Insider, the Cottagers have set their sights on moves for Crystal Palace’s Scott Dann, Wolves’ Ryan Bennett and Barcelona’s Jean-Clair Todibo.

In other Newcastle United news, Alan Hutton has been left fuming after a confession from Steve Bruce.